Sunday, June 28, 2009

Journey to PMP Certification

Lets me start with taking this opportunity to share excellent news that I have completed my PMP certification and now join the elite group of certified PMP Professionals all over the world. PMP is one of the most treasured certification across the world in the area of Project Management.
Journey to PMP Certification:
My journey for PMP Certification started almost an year back when I thought of appearing for the training and it was scheduled but due to some unavoidable circumstances I wasn’t able to attend training at eleventh hour (it was really eleventh hour as training was supposed to start at 9 AM and I got confirmation that I wont be able attend at 8 AM). Then after there were so many high priority activities at job and personnel level that didn’t allow me to concentrate for this activity. But everything happens for good as there were almost 10 days which I spent before the training scheduled to hunt through web regarding PMP, its allusion materials and experience shared by different professional which help me later on…
Anon it all started with information that PMBOK 4th edition is due to release and from 1st of July 2009 exam will be based on latest PMBOK. It worked as a catalyst and more like a timeline (deadline) kind of project for me to get certified before 30th June 2009. Luckily I got contacted by an institute which provides PMP training on weekends and I happily joined them and got great experience of education as the trainer was one of the most experienced in Project Management and Education and I really like his participative style of training together with using real life scenarios to explain you to understand not memorization.
After training completion very next day I opted for PMI membership and subsequently applied to Exam eligibility. I was blissful everything was going my way to complete this time bound project just then I got a mail that my application has been selected for auditing. I understand that PMI randomly select some percentages of applications for auditing and I was the chosen one (lucky or unlucky not sure). As per the instructions received from PMI I couriered relevant documents to the address provided. I am really thankful to my previous manager who has taken extra efforts and pain to courier the documents to me in no time. Within 5 days I receive information from PMI for successfully clearing auditing process and information to schedule examination. My wish was to schedule exam as late as possible to give myself extra amount of time but latest date available was 26th June and I scheduled it one the day…
I reached Mumbai a day earlier to avoid any last time traffic surprises and thought my decision was best considering heavy rainfall on 25th evening and 26th morning and there was a time my cab travelled just 1 KM in 1 hour but at last I reached the venue 1.15 hours earlier and rush to reception. Security was comparable to Airport Security check and I was allowed with just my Passport, PAN Card and locker key.
After some formalities at last I was in front of the magic computer which was going to test my knowledge and at end provide me the result. I have first 3 hours to answer all questions and then I started reviewing them in next iteration while I was on 80th question a popup appeared followed by Blank White screen and the result with CONGRATULATIONS for clearing certification. Hurray!!! I just thanked God, Parents and all my well-wishers for all their continued support and praise which made me achieve this significant milestone of my career…
Experience Sharing - For Preparation
My personnel advice is to focus on PMBOK and read it at least 3 times to understand the entire concept. We do project management and participate in projects too but they might not be as large as PMBOK covers so there might be differences of opinions but exam focus on what is mentioned in PMBOK so align your experience with PMBOK. Don’t try to memorize concept but understand them as questions will be based on scenarios where memorization will be of little help.
Solve as many questions (typically more than 1000) as you can as they will help you to find gaps in your knowledge and will also help to identify BEST among the correct ones. If you just search GOOGLE with PMP QUESTIONS you will get more than 2,360,000 and with PMP EXAM QUESTIONS you will get 387,000 results the trick here is to use GOOGLE intelligence for most page accessed and choose top 10-20 of them. More number of questions is OKAY if you go beyond 10-20 top searches but if the answers are not authenticated they might confuse you in concepts…
Experience Sharing - For Enrollment and Application
I would prefer to go for PMI Membership as it not only saves you overall certification cost but it also enables you to access PMBOK Guide and other documents which will help you to grow you knowledge in the domain.
During filing application make sure all the information if correct and authenticated. Don’t panic if you application is selected for audit just follow the instructions as received over email from PMI.
Experience Sharing - For Exam
There are very few cities in India where PROMETRIC centers are available. If you are from the same city you are lucky and advised to reach exam centre at least 1 hour earlier but if you are from different city and planning to travel then my advice is you reach a day earlier in the city. This will help you to relax and to avoid any last minute surprises of weather and traffic.
Feel relax co-operate with the security and process and then when you are in front of computer make sure you understand the environment and inform to centre representative if anything make you feel uncomfortable as after the exam they will be reluctant to make any changes.
Plan to finish all the questions in 2.5 - 3 hours this will give you an opportunity to review MARKED questions again and also if possible review all the questions before you hit the End or Time is Over.
Make sure you understand the question first and what it is asking don’t try to relate the question if you have found similar earlier during preparation and jump to answer. Read all the options before choosing the BEST one. If unsure try other way round and eliminate all the other ones which you feel can never be the correct ones.
Bol Bachan
There is no shortcut to success and glory. You have to read hard and practice even harder if you want to clear any examination. Certification helps you in continuous progress and learning latest and best further helps you in proving your worth…
So guys and girls lets gear up help yourself in continued learning…

No comments: